Knowing what to do in certain situations can reduce stress and sometimes make the difference between life and death. This site lists different public safety/crime scenarios with no more than five things you should do in case you find yourself in those situations. Hopefully, you never will be faced with one of these situations, but if you are, wouldn't you like to know what to do?
Take a look at each of these scenarios and the tips on how you should respond to them. Use the tips as guidelines - every circumstance is different. Your instincts and good judgment are your best guides.
Is there a topic you would like included on this page? Just send an e-mail and let us know. We will add it to the list.
What to do in case...
- You are carjacked
- You see a suspected drunk driver on the road
- You see an unattended child or pet in a vehicle
- Someone is drowning
- You are pulled over for a traffic stop
- Your child is missing
- Someone calls advising you have won the lottery (or other phone scam)
- You think your child is being bullied
- You are being bullied
- Your identity has been stolen
- Your home has been broken into
- You are the victim of a sexual assault ("Don't Let This Be You" Series - Sexual Assault video)
- You think your encounter with a police officer was based on bias
- An emergency response vehicle is behind you
- You are in an abusive relationship
- You witness a traffic accident
- You are being robbed
- You are kidnapped
- You are being stalked
- You are in a traffic accident
- Your vehicle is broken into
- Your vehicle is stolen
- You are in the vicinity of an active shooter
- If you suspect someone is abusing a child
- You are not sure if you are being pulled over by a real cop
- Your house is broken into while you are home
- You have to dial 9-1-1
- Your infant is not breathing
- A person comes to your school and starts shooting