|Learn to Sail at Lake Townsend
Discover the fun and excitement of converting wind power to sail power with the Lake Townsend Yacht Club. Beginners can learn all the skills of sailing, including knot tying, boat rigging, and determining wind
direction and sail position.
Junior Learn to Sail Camp (ages 10-15)
Times/Dates: 8:30 am to 12 noon on June 12-16, June 19-23, and July 10-14
Adult Learn to Sail Classes
Times/Dates: Two sessions are available.
1) 5:30 pm to closing weekdays and 9 am to 12 noon Saturday. Chose from May 15-10, June 5-10 and/or July 10-15.
2) 5:30-8 pm Friday and 9 am to 4 pm Saturday and Sunday. Chose from July 21-23, July 28-30, and/or August 18-20.
Family Learn to Sail Classes (one adult and one child aged 10 or older)
Times/Dates: Two sessions are available July 31 to August 5.
1) 5:30 pm to closing weekdays and 9 am to 12 noon Saturday.
2) 5:30-8 pm Friday and 9 am to 4 pm Saturday and Sunday.
Register and pay online at the yacht club website.
Brown Summit, NC 27214
Features and Amenities
Lake Townsend, named in honor of
James R. Townsend, City Manager of Greensboro from 1947-1961, is the
largest of Greensboro’s municipal reservoirs. The lake encompasses 1,542 acres and is adjacent to the Bryan Park Complex and Golf Course off Highway 29 North. The lake was built and open for recreation in 1969.
Lake Townsend offers boat and pier fishing, pleasure boating, and sailing. Popular fish include largemouth bass, hybrid bass, catfish, and crappie. Kayaks, rowboats, and sailboats are available to rent. A large boat ramp is available for private boat launching, with another
launch ramp for small sailboats. View activity and rental fees chart.
Lake Townsend Yacht Club
Lake Townsend is the home of the Lake Townsend Yacht Club with membership open to the public. Members enjoy cruising and racing small to medium size sailboats on Lake Townsend. You do not need to own a boat to join the club or to go sailing with the club. Sailing classes are offered during the summer months through the yacht club.
Hours of Operation*
November to February: 8 am to 5 pm (closed Wednesdays and Thursdays)
March: 7 am to 7 pm
April: 7 am to 8 pm
May to July: 7 am to 8:30 pm
August: 7 am to 8 pm
September: 7 am to 7:30 pm
October: 7 am to 7 pm
* Lake Townsend is always closed on Wednesdays and is open at 8 am on Sundays year round. All city lakes maintain normal operating hours during all holidays with the exception of Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and New Year's Day; the lakes are closed on those days.