Spread holiday cheer and 'go green' by donating gently used toys and new toys to families in need.
Who: Santa's Workshop has been assisting Greensboro families in need for more than 40 years! The Greensboro Youth Council (GYC) partners with local agencies to collect and distribute toys to families in need within Greensboro during the holiday season. The used toys are cleaned by community volunteers. Families must be referred to GYC by an approved agency to be able to receive toys from the Santa's Workshop program.
What: Residents can donate new and used toys for children ages 6 months to 13 years old. See "Toy Giving Guidelines" below for acceptable toys. Also, see "Drop Off" locations for toy donations below.
2014 Santa's Workshop: Kazara Williams
|Kazara is a freshman at the Academy at Smith and this year's Santa's Workshop Chair. She is responsible for maintaining the database, coordinating the toy drive, and organizing volunteers. Kazara is also a member of the Greensboro United Soccer Association, and enjoys playing soccer, reading, and playing the guitar.
Toy Giving Guidelines:
Drop Off Locations:
- All toys should be new or used toys that are unbroken and in good condition.
- Used toys should not be rusty or too dirty.
- Games and puzzles should be complete and have all pieces. Tape the sides of the boxes, so that the pieces will not get lost.
- Dolls should have all parts. Place doll clothes and accessories in a plastic bag and secure them with the doll.
- Electronics should be in working condition. Only minor repairs can be made. Batteries do not have to be included.
- Toy sets such as building blocks and tea sets should be boxed or placed in a sealed plastic bag, so that the pieces will not get lost.
- New stuffed animals only. No used stuffed animals will be accepted.
- Bicycles, tricycles and riding toys should be in working condition. Only minor repairs can be made.
- Sports equipment such as bowling or golf sets should be boxed or placed in a sealed plastic bag.
- No violent toys will be accepted (no guns, spears, etc.).
- Clothing and food are not accepted.
Toys will be collected from November 10 to December 5 at these locations:
- Cash donations can be mailed to the GYC Office mailing address: Greensboro Youth Council, Attn: Santa's Workshop, PO Box 3136, Greensboro, NC 27402
- GYC office at the Greensboro Farmers' Curb Market, 501 Yanceyville St.
- Greensboro Cultural Arts Center, 200 N. Davie St.
- Abbotswood at Irving, 3504 Flint St.
- Heritage Greens, 801 Meadowood St.
- International Minute Press, 104 Meadowood St.
- Trek Bicycle Store, 1209 Battleground Ave.
- Tried and True Tattoo Company, 524 S. Elm St.
All of these City of Greensboro Community Recreation Centers:
- Brown Center, 302 E. Vandalia Rd.
- Craft Center, 3911 Yanceyville St.
- Glenwood Center, 2010 Coliseum Blvd.
- Griffin Center, 5301 Hilltop Rd.
- Leonard Center, 6324 Ballinger Rd.
- Lewis Center, 3110 Forest Lawn Dr.
- Lindley Center, 2907 Springwood Dr.
- Peeler Center, 1300 Sykes Ave.
- Smith Senior Center, 24001 Fairview St.
- Trotter Center, 3906 Betula St.
- Warnersville Center, 601 Doak St.
- Windsor Center, 1601 E. Lee St.
All City of Greensboro public libraries:
- Benjamin Branch, 1530 Benjamin Parkway
- Central Branch, 219 N. Church St.
- Glenwood Branch, 1901 W. Florida St.
- Kathleen Clay Edwards Family Branch, 1420 Price Park Rd.
- Hemphill Branch, 2301 W. Vandalia Rd.
- McGirt-Horton Branch, 2501 Phillips Ave.
- Vance Chavis Branch, 900 S. Benbow Rd.
If your office is interested in serving as a collection site, contact the GYC Director at 336-373-2734 or by e-mail.
- Anyone can volunteer at Santa's Workshop. You can volunteer by yourself or sign-up your group.
- Volunteers help clean and sort toys into specific types and appropriate age groups.
Cleaning Dates Are:
- Wednesday, December 10
- Thursday, December 11
- Friday, December 12
- 107.5 WKZL
- Trek Bicycle Store
- International Minute Press
- Shamrock Gift Wrap
- Bonset Corporation
- Mateer Storage Trailer Rental
- Greensboro Public Libraries
- Greensboro Community Recreation Centers