The mission of PCD’s Code Compliance office is to maintain safe, healthy, appealing neighborhoods through enforcement of the:
• Minimum Housing Code for unsafe or unsanitary dwellings
• City’s Nuisance Ordinance for unkempt yards
• Ordinance for Junk and Abandoned Motor Vehicles
• Land Development Ordinance for land use or zoning violations.
Enforcement of City codes through various compliance procedures ensures that property owners' and residents' rights are protected and responsibilities are fulfilled.
The preferred outcome of any code violation situation is for the property owner to respond to notification from the City by voluntarily bringing their property into compliance in a timely manner. When voluntary compliance cannot be achieved in a reasonable time frame, the Code Compliance office will initiate appropriate remediation procedures.
The pages in this section describe the processes for reporting and remediating the four main types of code violations handled by the PCD Code Compliance office. The Other Code Violations & Issues page contains information on how to report a variety of code violations and concerns handled by other City departments.
Complaints – To submit a complaint about possible violations of any of these ordinances either:
• Call the Code Compliance office at 336-373-2111 or the City's Contact Center at 336-373-CITY (2489)
• Send a letter addressed to: City of Greensboro
Code Compliance Office
300 W. Washington St.
Greensboro, NC 27401
An inspector will then be assigned to investigate your complaint. You can also review the status of your complaint or search for active or archived cases using the online Code Compliance tracking system