The mission of City Academy is to develop future leaders and build a better community through the efforts of well informed and civically engaged residents.
This program is a series of classes designed to teach participants about major aspects of City government. Sessions include information on topics ranging from police to economic development to leadership.
Program components include:
- Preparation for service on a City board or commission
- Experiential learning and hands-on activities
- Thursday evening classes for 11 consecutive weeks at various locations throughout the City
- Free meals at each session beginning at 5:15 pm
- Graduation in mid-November at a regularly scheduled City Council meeting at 5:30 pm.
City Academy is free and open to any resident who lives within the corporate limits of the City of Greensboro. Twenty-five people representing all council districts and various backgrounds will be selected for the academy. Other selection criteria include:
- Must be 18 years of age or older
- Must attend 80 percent of classes
- Must submit a written statement of desire to participate
- Must be able to pass a police background check.
Preference will be given to those willing to serve on a board or commission.
For more information, e-mail Community Relations or call 336-373-2723.