Skip to page body Home I Want To... City News City Government Living Visiting Business and Development

recycleDownload a printer-friendly version of this page.

All items may be mixed in the same container. Recyclables should be empty and dry. Labels can stay. If you are not sure if something can be recycled, call 336-373-CITY (2489) or send an e-mail

What's Recyclable?


Newspaper that is dry and free from food, paint, or dirt.

Paper that is dry and free from food, paint, or dirt residue. Office paper, school paper and junk mail are accepted. Shredded paper should be placed in a paper bag before being placed in your recycling can. This helps prevent litter on the streets when the can is emptied.

Magazines and catalogs.

Cardboard that is unwaxed and uncoated may be recycled. Examples are laundry detergent boxes, furniture boxes, appliance boxes, shipping boxes, and pizza boxes.

Chipboard or paperboard with a grayish or brownish color on the inside. Examples are cake mix, cereal and cracker boxes, brownish/gray egg cartons, milk and juice cartons. All chipboard must be clean, dry, and free from any food particles, grease, or dirt. The bag liner often found inside these boxes should be placed in the trash.

Food and beverage cartons. Milk and juice cartons, juice boxes, soup and broth cartons, Tetra Pak containers.


All plastic bottles, jugs and containers #1-7. Plastics like soda and water bottles, milk jugs, yogurt and margarine tubs, etc. 

Rigid plastics include hard plastic items such as buckets, milk crates, laundry baskets, lawn furniture, plastic toys, pet carriers, litter boxes, plastic pallets, nursery trays, and flower pots.


Aluminum cans. Aluminum foil, pie pans and roasting pans. 

Steel cans. Sharp lids are a safety hazard in the sorting process, so please place them inside the can. 

Aerosol cans that are completely empty. If the can is not empty, it should go to the Household Hazardous Waste Center. Discard the spray nozzle.

Pots and pans. Pots and pans made of any type of metal are recyclable. Aluminum pie and roasting pans are accepted.


Glass food and beverage containers. Vases, bowls, mirrors and dishes are not acceptable.

What's Not Recyclable?

Hazardous materials and electronic waste. Household hazardous materials and electronic waste should be taken to the Household Hazardous Waste Collection Center, 2750 Patterson St. If you have a question about hazardous waste, call 336-373-CITY (2489).

Please, no plastic bags. Plastic bags can get caught in our recycling machinery and cause damage. Plastic bags should be recycled at local grocery stores. Learn more.

No baby diapers.

No car parts.

No clothes.

No tires. Tires may be disposed of through Guilford County's tire disposal program.

No yard waste. State law requires yard waste and several other items to be disposed of separately from recyclables and household trash. Do not place yard waste in your green or brown can.

No foam packaging and peanuts. Do not put foam packaging, cups, and shipping peanuts in your recycling container. Most mail packaging stores will gladly accept foam peanuts. To locate a store that accepts peanuts, call the national Peanut Hotline at 800-828-2214, sponsored by the Plastic Loose Fill Council.

Last updated: 7/7/2017 2:35:57 PM