Addressing Local Food Hardships
|Free Summer Meals
Locations across Greensboro offer free breakfast and lunch to children. Download the full list of locations here.
Anyone in need of a free meal may text "FoodNC" to 877-877 for a list of places to eat near you.
The Community Food Task Force
initiates and promotes actions that increase food access in the greater Greensboro area. Coordinated by the City of Greensboro, the task force consists of residents and community organizations dedicated to addressing address food hardship through collaborative strategies.
This advisory task force maintains a forum for connecting with others serving similar purposes, setting and achieving goals, and developing and implementing a 10-year strategic plan to end hunger in Greensboro.
Meetings are open to the public (2017 Meeting Schedule).
- Address immediate community needs
- Increase the number of free meals provided to those in need
- Expand free summer meals program for youth
- Expand free meals sites throughout the year
- Add free meals for after-school participants
- Coordinate marketing around free meals locations
- Consolidated Web presence for food efforts
- Work with Guilford Food Council to update and maintain a comprehensive database of who is doing what in the community related to food issues
- Solicit external support for food-related initiatives
- Increase retail options in food deserts
- Increase programming related to food, nutrition, cooking, gardening, and other topics
- Pool and connect existing resources within the City, among colleges and universities, and with the Cooperative Extension, nonprofit agencies and others to create more comprehensive outreach programs
- Facilitate the development of community/shared kitchen sites for educational and job skills development purposes
- Complete strategic planning to end hunger and increase food access
- Develop a 10-year strategic plan for addressing food insecurity, with measurable goals, assignments, and deadlines
- Work collaboratively with the Guilford Food Council on strengthening local food system
The Little Green Book: Free meals in Greensboro
The Little Blue Book: Free food pantries in Greensboro
Guilford County Local Foods Guide
Greensboro Farmers Curb Market
Guilford Food Council