Skip to page body Home I Want To... City News City Government Living Visiting Business and Development

Participatory Budgeting Idea Submission

A key part of the Participatory Budgeting process is residents submitting their ideas for projects to be funded. Idea collection has ended for Participatory Budgeting Cycle 2. Please return to this page in 2018 for information about idea collection during Cycle 3.

Here's the process for participating. 

How to Submit an Idea

Residents can submit an idea for a project during a series of idea collection meetings in the spring. You do not have to live in a particular Council District to attend a meeting there. 

What Projects Can Be Funded

Only capital projects can be funded through PB. Capital projects are one-time expenses that often involve infrastructure improvements. PB funds are not for on-going expenses, such as those that fund staff salaries, programs, and services. Project costs are limited to $100,000 per City Council district.

In general, eligible projects are:

  • One-time expenditures 
  • A benefit to the public 
  • Implemented by the City on City property (streets, parks, libraries, recreation centers, municipal buildings, etc.).

Examples of capital projects include:

  • Improvements to public playgrounds and parks
  • Installing accessibility ramps on public property
  • Renovating public buildings
  • Installing benches or street lights
  • Resurfacing a basketball court

PB funding cannot be used to:

  • Make a grant to a nonprofit organization
  • Hire additional staff
  • Fund projects on Greensboro Housing Authority,
    Guilford County Schools or private property.
Last updated: 11/28/2017 11:45:54 AM