The History of the Greensboro Fire Department
The Greensboro Fire Department was first organized in 1884 with the Steam Fire Engine Company No. 1 (also known as the General Greene), located at 108 West Gaston St. (now W. Friendly Ave.). During this time, the department was a volunteer organization as are some many departments in smaller communities surrounding the City of Greensboro today.
But in 1926, in response to a rapidly growing city and resource management concerns, the Greensboro Fire Department became an "all paid" department.
Last updated: 7/2/2015 8:35:36 AM