The City of Greensboro is dedicated to assisting employees in their pursuit of personal and professional development. Development is vital to the growth of an individual, their department, and the organization as a whole.
The HR division of Organizational Effectiveness and Development is responsible for most employee development. They offer offers leadership development, individualized career consultation, and the following programs:
- New Employee Orientation (NEO): This one day session provides new employees an overview of the City, as well as informs them of policies and procedures they need to know in order to be successful during their employment with the City. Please see the New Employee Calendar for specific dates.
- Non-Credit General Education: Non-Credit General Education Sessions are coordinated by the Learning and Development staff. The sessions are typically two to three hour sessions. They are offered monthly with topics relevant to a City employee's professional and personal development.
- Leadership Prime: Leadership Prime is a series of courses designed to assist those who desire to develop in their current role or who want to become a supervisor. To register for Leadership Prime, please see the course listings on the HR Calendar.
- Foundations of Supervision (FOS): Foundations of Supervision is an eleven (11) session program is designed to prepare supervisors and aspiring supervisors for success through the development of supervisory competencies, interpersonal skills, and policy education.
- Foundations of Management (FOM): Foundations of Management is a leadership track designed for middle managers or individuals who lead a functional unit in the organization. The monthly sessions are structured to move the participants toward strategic planning, systems thinking, and becoming a change agent.
- Leadership Edge: Leadership Edge is designed for Executive Development and Succession Planning, targeting Senior Leadership. Application process is by invitation.
- Pre-Retirement Education Planning Program (PREPP): Pre-Retirement Education Planning Program (PREPP) has been designed to help prepare employees who are one to five years away from retirement. This program covers the financial, legal, social, and personal aspects of retirement. It emphasizes planning for this significant life-style change using discussion and outside resource "experts".
- Policy Ed: Ongoing Policy Education provides personnel policy updates to the City's managers and supervisors.
Human Resources also offers the following training to City of Greensboro employees:
- Diversity Drama: The City aspires to be an inclusive workplace that embraces diversity and supports the full participation of all employees. The City uses drama to help employees engage in conversations about diversity and working with employees and residents with different cultural backgrounds and interests.
- Health Rewards: The Health Rewards program aims to increase employee awareness of their own health status and provides education and resources to help you get healthier, stay healthy, and live a better quality of life. All active employees who are covered under the City’s health insurance plan can participate and attend a variety of development opportunities.
- Safety in the Workplace: There is an expectation that the City be a safe work environment and that all employees promote safety efforts. The City provides safety training programs to reduce risk or accidents and/or injuries.