The Pleasure was Mine
by Tommy Hays was selected as the 2008 One City, One Book community-wide read.
The selection committee felt that the themes in The Pleasure Was Mine
are universal and unifying. All of us, no matter what our race or class, will face issues of aging, health care, and family conflict.
Discussion, author readings, and other opportunities to participate will be featured during the month of November 2008.
Ways to get involved
- Check the book out from the library or buy a copy. (Central Library’s Booklover’s Shop offers a discounted price).
- Read the book and attend a book discussion.
- Invite a speaker to your civic club, place of worship, workplace or book club.
- Attend programs in libraries and at other community sites. Events include: programs about understanding and preventing memory loss, tips for caregivers, positive aging, health care issues, legal issues, spirituality, art exhibits, film showings, lectures, and more.
- Set up a book discussion group in your home, organization, place of worship, or school.
- Become a discussion group facilitator.
For more ideas on how to participate or make suggestions for programs, contact Beth Sheffield.
Greensboro, there's a book you should read
Readers, author, kick off city's book clelebration