City News

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Greensboro’s Guide for Demolishing a House

Post Date:05/02/2018 1:00 PM

In the wake of the April 15 tornado that touched down in east Greensboro, many residents are being forced to make decisions about the future of their homes that were destroyed or severely damaged. The City of Greensboro is offering recommendations for how to demolish a family home. These recommendations apply only to homes and not commercial structures.

  • NC law requires that all homes be tested for asbestos prior to demolition.
  • If asbestos is found, a licensed asbestos abatement firm must remove it.
  • Once the house is free of asbestos, homeowners should get at least 2-3 bids from experienced and insured demolition contractors.
  • A demolition permit must be obtained from:
    • The City’s Development Services Division office. Call 336-373-2155 or visit the Melvin Municipal Office Building (MMOB), 300 W. Washington St. The office is located immediately inside the Washington Street entrance to MMOB.
    • A copy of an asbestos report that shows the house either did not have asbestos or that the asbestos has been removed is required in order to obtain a permit.
  • Once the house has been demolished, all debris must be removed and hauled to an approved construction and demolition landfill. Do not put piles of house debris at the curb. The City does not pick up demolition debris.

Most demolition contractors are able to make this a smooth process as they can coordinate the asbestos testing and removal, as well as the demolition process and cleanup.

For a list of area asbestos testing and abatement firms, contact the Health Hazards Control Unit with the NC Department of Health and Human Services at 919-707-5950.

A list of reputable local demolition contractors can be found through the Better Business Bureau by calling 336-852-4240.