Two Businesses Permitted to Offer Scooters for Rent
The City of Greensboro has accepted permit applications from two companies to offer electric scooters for rent as part of a pilot program. Lime can distribute scooters in the public right-of-way starting today, January 28, until the end of the pilot on August 1. Bird expects to deploy in March.
The businesses are responsible for educating riders about safe riding practices, parking rules, and laws. They will be responsible for removing incorrectly parked scooters within two hours of notification. To report an issue, contact costumer service for the businesses:
Residents who use standup electric scooters, including rental scooters from businesses like Lime and Bird, should follow these rules:
- Only people 18 and older may ride these scooters.
- Only ride on city streets with a speed limit of 35 mph or less.
- Follow all traffic laws like other vehicles, such as riding only on the right side of the road, stopping at traffic signals and stop signs, and yielding to pedestrians.
- No riding on sidewalks or in parking decks.
- You may use bike lanes.
- When parking your scooter, please pay close attention to the area around you. If parking on the sidewalk, leave at least a 6-foot wide clear pathway for pedestrians. Do not block sidewalk dining areas, bus stops, handicapped ramps or parking, driveways, loading zones, bike racks or benches.
- Helmets are strongly encouraged.