Development Services accepts electronic submittals for commercial building plans via the “Electronic Plan Review” Web portal. This portal is tied to the “Plan Tracking” system, where you can read review comments and check on the status of your plans.
Before using the Electronic Plan Review portal, please read the instructions below!
Initial Commercial Building Plan SubmittalsFormat
- Submit all plans in unprotected pdf format. Include all sheets in a single pdf document.
- Do not include special characters (!, @, #, $, %, ^, &, etc.) in the document file name.
- Encode all sheets with pdf bookmarks by sheet number and sheet title.
- On each plan sheet, reserve a three-inch-wide by two-inch-high space for official approvals at the same location, in or adjacent to the title block. (This facilitates “batch” stamping and speeds approval of the plan.)
- Plan sets must be complete including all disciplines requiring review. After each upload, the “Electronic Plan Review” portal is closed to further uploads until all reviews on the active plan have been entered into the “Plan Tracking” system.
- A site plan is required for projects with work outside the existing building footprint, changes of use or occupancy, or when located in a watershed.
- A plan must be accurate, drawn to scale, and sufficiently complete to describe the project scope, including all mechanical, plumbing and electrical work involved.
- Drawings must be suitable for construction. Drawings marked “preliminary,” “not for construction,” or otherwise excluded from use for construction, cannot be approved.
- Each page must bear the name, address and signature of the preparer, and when prepared by a licensed design professional, must bear the visible seal and signature of the design professional in charge.
- Building permit fees are not accepted electronically. After the online application and plans are submitted, City staff will review the submittal for completeness, contact the applicant for any additional information required, and notify the applicant of the fee amount. Fees may be delivered in person or by mail or other courier to: Development Services – Engineering & Inspections Department, 300 W. Washington St., Greensboro, NC 27401-2624. Make checks payable to City of Greensboro.
- After the plan submittal is reviewed by staff, approvals, rejections, and comments will be added to the “Plan Tracking” system.
- Approved plans -- or marked up plans (if needed) and a notice to submit revisions -- will be uploaded to the applicant’s account in the “Electronic Plan Review” portal.
- The applicant will be notified by e-mail when the review is completed and may retrieve any documents uploaded to the account from the portal.
- The plan required for field inspections will be labeled "Approved” and is typically the last plan listed on the website.
- All revisions are required to be formally submitted through the ”Electronic Plan Review” portal. Any plans and correspondence submitted through other media (such as e-mail) will be used for informational purposes and discussion only.
- Please submit only those sheets that have been added or revised. Do not resubmit unaltered sheets.
- Please "cloud and delta" or otherwise highlight revisions to facilitate quick review.
- Please include the necessary revisions for all disciplines in the submittal.
- As with initial submittals, after each upload, the “Electronic Plan Review” portal is closed to further uploads until the results of all reviews on the active plan have been entered into the “Plan Tracking” system.
Addendum to Plans After Approval
- Most field changes can be addressed by our field inspections staff. Addenda and revisions to plans after approval are accepted for review only when requested by field inspections staff, or for significant changes in building configuration, use, or life safety features.
- Please "cloud" or otherwise highlight revisions to facilitate quick review.
- Please submit only those sheets that have been added or revised. Only those sheets will be reviewed and returned. Do not submit duplicates of unaltered sheets.
- To upload an addendum to approved commercial building plans, please contact a Gatekeeper by calling our front office at 336-373-2155 between 8 am and 5 pm Mondays through Fridays to have the portal reset to allow the upload.
If you have any questions about the “Electronic Plan Review” portal, please call Development Services at 336-373-2155 for commercial building plans or Jose Colon, Planning Specialist, at 336-373-2969 for plans reviewed by the Technical Review Committee (TRC) between 8 am and 5 pm Mondays through Fridays.
After logging in, select the “Commercial Building” button.