The process to petition for public improvements requires the citizen to contact our office and provided the following information:
- Name, address and phone number of the property owner
- The address of the property to be improved, if it is not the same location of the petitioner.
- The types of public improvements requested
- Sanitary Sewer
- Storm Sewer
- Paving, Curb and Gutter
- The request is routed to the Transportation, Water Resources, Engineering Design and Legal Departments.
- Each Department will review the request for public improvements. They will provide comments and recommendations for the size, location, and property owners in the location of the requested improvements.
- After each department has made their recommendations, a petition is prepared and mailed to the property owner. Instructions on how to acquire signatures, a list of property owners, and the petition limits are provided in the mailed documentation. The linear footage cost for public improvements are provided on the petition form.
- The property owner must return the petition to Records Management within a year from the date of the petition.
- The Legal Department will determine if the petition is sufficient and prepare the petition to be presented to the Greensboro City Council.
- If public improvements are authorized by City Council, the project becomes a part of the Engineering Division Project Management Process.
- It can take as long as two years after City Council authorization before the project is constructed.
Contact the City to start the petition process.