Petition City for Public Improvements

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option
The process to petition for public improvements requires the citizen to contact our office and provided the following information:
  1. Name, address and phone number of the property owner
  2. The address of the property to be improved, if it is not the same location of the petitioner.
  3. The types of public improvements requested
    1. Water
    2. Sanitary Sewer
    3. Storm Sewer
    4. Paving, Curb and Gutter
    5. Sidewalk
  4. The request is routed to the Transportation, Water Resources, Engineering Design and Legal Departments.
  5. Each Department will review the request for public improvements. They will provide comments and recommendations for the size, location, and property owners in the location of the requested improvements.
  6. After each department has made their recommendations, a petition is prepared and mailed to the property owner. Instructions on how to acquire signatures, a list of property owners, and the petition limits are provided in the mailed documentation. The linear footage cost for public improvements are provided on the petition form.
  7. The property owner must return the petition to Records Management within a year from the date of the petition.
  8. The Legal Department will determine if the petition is sufficient and prepare the petition to be presented to the Greensboro City Council.
  9. If public improvements are authorized by City Council, the project becomes a part of the Engineering Division Project Management Process.
  10. It can take as long as two years after City Council authorization before the project is constructed.

Contact the City to start the petition process.