Make sure your house is as safe as possible by following these few simple guidelines.
- Install smoke detectors on each level of your home and change batteries every six months.
- Clear hallways and exits for easy evacuation.
- Keep ABC type fire extinguishers. Make sure you know how and when to use them.
- Store flammable or highly reactive chemicals securely and separately from each other.
- Know how and when to switch off your utilities.
- Keep utility company emergency phone numbers in one place near the telephone.
- Install carbon monoxide detectors on each level of your home and change batteries every six months. Install a carbon monoxide detector within 40 feet of all rooms used for sleeping. The carbon monoxide detector should be placed so it will be easily heard in all sleeping areas and should be installed according to manufacturer's instructions.
- Have a set place for storing your Emergency Supply Kit and a Go Bag.