Frequently Asked Questions

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

How many people work for the Fire Department?
A. The Fire Department currently has 584 positions.

What distance is the fire hydrant closest to my house?
A. Most hydrants are within 500 feet of each other, based on Insurance Standards Office requirements.

I saw a City of Greensboro fire truck at a local grocery store, and some of the firefighters were inside shopping for food. Why do firefighters use fire trucks for non-emergency purposes while they are on duty?
A. To ensure the most effective service at the time of an emergency, our crews must remain in their designated response territory with their fire trucks during their entire shift. Our crews work 24-hour shifts with no scheduled break, and meals are not provided by the City. Personnel on each shift must purchase their own food and prepare their own meals, so they usually make a daily trip to the grocery store within their territory to buy whatever they need to prepare their meals. Fire crews can be dispatched at any time, since all units maintain constant radio contact with Guilford Metro 9-1-1, and must be together with their truck so that they are ready to respond to any emergency, regardless of their current location or non-emergency assignment.

Why did the fire engine come when I only requested an ambulance?
A. City of Greensboro Fire Department has 25 strategically located fire stations and all firefighters are certified EMTs providing basic emergency medical treatment, which means we can get there faster than an ambulance in most cases, and begin immediate treatment.

I want a fire engine at my community event or I'd like to bring a group of children to a fire station for a tour. How do I arrange that?
A. We offer a variety of community events and require a minimum two week request period. Contact our Fire and Life Safety Division office at (336) 373-2177.

Do fire stations offer birthday parties?
A. We do not offer birthday parties at this time.

I need a fire engine to fill a dunk tank at my event. How do I arrange that?
A. Unfortunately, this is not a service we offer, however, it may be arranged by calling the City of Greensboro Water Resources Department at 336-373-2202.

How can I get a smoke alarm from the Fire Department? Will you change the batteries?
A. The Greensboro Fire Department does provide free smoke alarms with installation, including batteries, to all residents within the city limits. To request a smoke alarm and/or batteries, please contact our Fire and Life Safety Division office at (336) 373-2177.

Why do I have to dial 9-1-1? If I call the fire station direct would it save time?
A. The firefighters might not be at the station when you call. Even if they are, the firefighters will still have to activate 9-1-1 so that other emergency responders are notified. On the other hand, the 9-1-1 emergency system is designed to save valuable seconds. When you dial 9-1-1, the system routes the call to the police or fire unit that is closest to your home.

When there is only a small fire, why do so many fire engines respond?
A. A "Standard Response Plan" policy is utilized on all responses. This system is a pre-designated formula that determines the amount and type of equipment sent to the incident. For example, a residential structure fire includes a minimum of three engine companies, two ladder companies and one Battalion Chief. If these units are not needed, they are released by the Incident Commander.

What do firefighters do when they are not on calls fighting fires?
A. Firefighters work 24 hour shifts at their duty station. Training and equipment maintenance takes up a good deal of firefighter’s time when they are not on call. Firefighters constantly train so they are ready to handle any type of emergency. Firefighters must also maintain and clean their stations. Firefighters also  conduct pre-incident planning and community service.

I want to report a leaking or broken fire hydrant.
A. Call the Water Resources Construction and Maintenance at 336-373-2033.

How do I get a copy of an Incident/Investigative report?
A. A Fire Incident Report is created for every call which the Greensboro Fire Department responds. Requests for Incident Reports may be made by calling 336-373-2177 or at the Fire & Life Safety Division located at 1512 N. Church St.