The mission of City Academy is to develop future leaders and build a better community through the efforts of well informed and civically engaged residents.
This program is a series of classes designed to teach participants about major aspects of City government. Sessions include information on topics ranging from police to economic development to leadership.
Applications for City Academy 2019 are now open.
Program components include:
- Preparation for service on a City board or commission
- Experiential learning and hands-on activities
- Evening classes for 12 consecutive weeks at various locations throughout the City
- Free meals at each session beginning at 5:15 pm
- Graduation the first week of December at a regularly scheduled City Council meeting at 5:30 pm.
City Academy is free and open to any resident who lives within the corporate limits of the City of Greensboro. Thirty people representing all council districts and various backgrounds will be selected for the academy. Other selection criteria include:
- Must be 18 years of age or older
- Must attend 80 percent of classes
- Must submit a written statement of desire to participate
- Must be able to pass a police background check.
Preference will be given to those willing to serve on a board or commission.
For more information, e-mail Community Relations or call 336-373-2723.