Zoning Enforcement

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

The Code Compliance Office of the Neighborhood Development Department enforces the zoning provisions of the Land Development Ordinance. The office is generally complaint-driven, and upon request, a Code Compliance Officer will investigate an alleged zoning or land use violation.

To review processes and procedures associated with zoning and land use complaints, please visit the Procedures Manual page. Also, to check on the zoning of a particular property, go to the City's interactive Zoning Map.

Typical Zoning and Land Use Related Issues:

• Fences
• Home occupations (i.e. limited home-based businesses)
• Local historic district regulations
• Permitted land uses
• Portable storage units
• Sight distance at driveways and intersections

Some of the other duties of the Code Compliance Office include the review of commercial and residential site plans, the issuance of sign permits, and the review of residential building permits for compliance with setbacks.

The Code Compliance Office is also the liaison to the Board of Adjustment, accepting applications for Variances, Special Exceptions, Interpretations, and Appeals.

Complaints – To submit a complaint about a possible zoning violation you may:

• E-mail us
• Call the Code Compliance Office at 336-373-2111 or the City's Contact Center at 336-373-CITY (2489)
• Send a letter addressed to: City of Greensboro
Code Compliance Office
300 W. Washington St.
Greensboro, NC 27401

An inspector will then be assigned to investigate your complaint. You can also request an inspection (for housing, nuisance, or vehicle complaints), review the status of your complaint, or search for active or archived cases using the online Code Compliance tracking system.

Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Flash Player Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer