GYC offers service learning opportunities through leadership roles as executive board member, project chair and project staff. These positions require more time and dedication than a GYC normal volunteer opportunity. All positions receive assistance from a GYC advisor to successfully run their area and you do not have to be a GYC member to hold a position, though membership is strongly encouraged.
We are considered a service learning provider through Guilford County Schools for those working toward a Service Learning Diploma or Certificate. Learn more about Guilford County School's Service Learning requirements.
Spring Project/Event Chairs
GYC is seeking to serve as leaders or project chairs for two spring events, Camille's Closet/Theo's Threads and Spring Bloom. Project chairman can earn 40-60 service learning hours. With the help of an adult advisor and a staff of their peers, the project chair plans, prepare, and implements the event. Below are detailed descriptions of the events, important dates and the application.
Camille's Closet/Theo's Threads
- Purpose- Provide new and like new formal wear and accessories to teens for special occasions such as prom.
- This is a great service learning project for someone who is organized and into fashion
- How do we do it?-Formal wear and accessories are collected during a month long drive. Items collected include dresses, pants, dress shirts, ties, suits, purses, jewelry, and shoes. All items collected are distributed to teens for free.
- When-The formal wear drive runs January-February and the shopping days are March 26 & 27.
- Visit the web page for more details.
- Purpose- Celebrate spring and the installation and lighting of the LeBauer Park sculpture. In this partnership with Downtown Greensboro Parks Inc., GYC will provide crafts, games, sell glow items, and assist with entertainment.
- This is a great service learning project for someone who is creative and interested in event planning.
- How?-This is a new event for GYC in partnership with Downtown Greensboro Parks Inc. We envision assisting them to provide an exciting family event with help of 30 volunteers.
- When-The event is scheduled for the evening of Friday, April 3
Ready to apply? Download the 2019-2020 Spring Leadership Application. Positions are open until filled.
Send completed applications:
- By mail: Greensboro Youth Council, Attn: GYC Spring Leadership, PO Box 3136, Greensboro, NC 27402
- By e-mail: email@example.com, Subject: GYC Spring Leadership
- In person: drop off at the GYC Office, Suite 315 in the Greensboro Cultural Center 200 N. Davie Street during normal business hours. If we are not in please leave in the box on our door.
Frequently asked questions regarding applications
- What happens after I submit my application?
- You will receive an e-mail stating we received your application and it is being reviewed.
- How does the selection process work?
- Applications are reviewed by the GYC and the advisors. Once all applications are reviewed, you will receive a call from the Project Chair regarding the position.