If you are over the age of 18 and want to serve in any capacity other than on a board, commission or at a special event, you must undergo a background check. For this purpose, a special event volunteer is defined as a volunteer who is assisting with an event or project lasting less than one week.
Items about your past that will be checked include:
• State and county criminal records check
• National criminal history check
• Sex Offender Registry check
Parks and Recreation will notify you only if you are ineligible to volunteer due to the guidelines below.
No one will be accepted as a volunteer who has been convicted of or pled guilty or no contest to any of the following crimes:
Sex offenses regardless of the amount of time since the offense
• Examples include, but are not limited to, child molestation, rape, sexual assault, sexual battery, sodomy, prostitution, solicitation, indecent exposure
Felony violence regardless of the amount of time since the offense
• Examples include, but are not limited to, murder, manslaughter, aggravated assault, kidnapping, robbery, aggravated burglary
Other felony offenses within the past 10 years
• Examples include, but are not limited to, drug offenses, theft, embezzlement, fraud, child endangerment
Misdemeanors – violent offenses within the past seven years
• Examples include, but are not limited to, simple assault, battery, domestic violence, hit and run
Misdemeanors – drug offenses within the past seven years or multiple offenses in the past 10 years
• Examples include, but are not limited to, simple marijuana possession, possession of drug paraphernalia
Misdemeanors within the past seven years that would be considered a potential danger to children, seniors, people with a disability, or any other fragile population
• Examples include, but are not limited to, contributing to the delinquency of a minor, providing alcohol to a minor
To register as a volunteer, complete a General Volunteer Enrollment form or a Coaching Enrollment Form. For more information, contact Alex Zaleski, volunteer coordinator, by e-mail or by phone at 336-373-7507.