What Is Anger Management?
According to the Merriam-Webster dictionary, "anger" is an intense emotional state induced by displeasure. Anger is a normal, healthy emotion. It lets us know when something is wrong and makes us take action. But when anger gets out of control, people may become hostile or violent.
Did You Know?
People get angry for the following reasons:
- To get attention
- To force others to get what they want
- To lash out if they are feeling disrespected or treated unfairly
- Because they don't know how to express their emotions
- To tease others
- Because they feel an adrenaline rush
- Admit that you are angry
- Deal with it
- Brush it off
- Identify and understand the cause, then walk away
- Get a new perspective
- Vent to your friends and family
- Redirect your anger and learn how to manage conflicts
Most of the information above was obtained from the National Crime Prevention Council.
- Download the "Making Peace - Tips on Conflict Management" Brochure
- Download the "Making Peace - Tips on Conflict Management - Espanola" Brochure
- Download the "Calling All Hotheads - Tips on Keeping Cool in an Angry World" Brochure
- APA Online - Controlling Anger Before it Controls You - This site offers an article on anger management.
- Anger Institute - This site is devoted to anger management and how to get help.