Kids today are growing up online. Studies show that almost every school child has been online and three-quarters of young people can access the Internet from their homes, according to the Kaiser Family Foundation.
Kids go online to research and complete school assignments and to learn about topics that interest them. They also go online to chat with friends, play games, download music, keep a journal or Web blog, create websites, shop, and more.
It may seem like kids are pretty savvy Web users and many parents think that their children are better computer users than they are. But, that does not mean kids understand the dangers they could encounter on the Internet or how to avoid them. The good news is that parents can help.
Below are resources designed to keep your child safe.
Resources to download
- Parents' Internet Booklet
- Cybersafety for Kids Online: A Parents' Guide Brochure
- Safe and Secure in the Electronic World Brochure
- Online Auction Fraud Brochure
- Safe Surfing Brochure
- Family Contract for Online Safety
- Child Internet Safety Tips (English/Spanish)
- Online Safety for Kids, Tweens and Teens
- Internet Shopping Safety Tips
- Safe Kids - This site provides tips for safe Internet surfing for kids.
- Safe Teens - This site provides tips for safe Internet surfing for teens.
- FBI's Guide to Internet Safety - This site provides information on how to recognize if your child is at risk on the Internet and how to report if he or she is.
- National Crime Prevention Council