The new North Carolina ATV Safety Law (SB 189) was passed for your safety. It is illegal to drive/ride an ATV on a public street according to § 20-171.19. unless otherwise permitted.
- Never use alcohol or drugs that can impair vision and coordination
- Never ride/drive on public streets or roads. It is illegal to do so according to § 20-171.19. unless otherwise permitted.
- Stay on trails and ride at a safe speed
Ride an ATV that's right for their age:
- 8-11 years of age - under 70cc engine displacement
- 12-15 years of age - 70cc - 90cc engine displacement
- 16 years of age and older - over 90cc engine displacement
- ATVs are not toys. If you are under 16, you must be supervised by a person at least 18 years old.
Ride with protection:
- Always wear a DOT-approved helmet
- Always wear eye protection
Ride in control:
- Never carry a passenger on a single-rider vehicle
Ride an ATV that has:
- A brake system in good working order
- An effective muffler
- A USDA Forest Service approved spark arrester
For additional information or materials, visit the ATV Safety Institute.