Frequently Asked Questions

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option


How do I get a copy of a police report?
Police reports can be obtained 24 hours a day from Watch Operations (located at Police Headquarters, 320 Federal Place). The phone number is 336-373-2496.

Reports may also be obtained at Police Records or any of the division substations:
  • Police Records
    320 Federal Place (100 Police Plaza): Phone: 336-373-2435
  • District 4 Operations Substation
    1106 Maple St. Phone: 336-574-4035
  • District 3 Operations Substation
    300 S. Swing Rd. Phone: 336-373-2637

I called 9-1-1 to report a vehicle break-in, but an officer didn't respond. Why?
Greensboro Police officers must use their limited resources in the most effective way. That means focusing manpower on urgent calls where serious injury or death is imminent, on calls where a suspect is still on the scene, or on calls where there is an opportunity for evidence collection. Most often, vehicle break-ins fail to meet any of those criteria, so the calls are forwarded to the GPD's Telephone Response Unit (TRU). After reporting your vehicle break-in to the TRU, you will receive a police report, which you may forward to your insurance company.

How do I retrieve a towed car?
Bring the vehicle's current registration or title, a photo identification, and $20 (administrative fee) to Police Records, 320 Federal Place (100 Police Plaza). You will then be given a claim ticket and told the location of the towing company where your vehicle is stored. The towing company’s fees are separate and must be paid directly to the company. Call 336-373-2433 for more information.

How do I get property back that was taken as evidence?
To retrieve evidence, you must have a court order or written authorization from the arresting officer or detective in the case. Bring a photo ID and the case number to the Evidence Division, 300 S. Swing Rd. The office is open on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 1-4 pm. The number is 336-373-2427. If you are picking up a car, gun, or money, please call in advance. 

Where do I go to have fingerprints taken?
Fingerprinting services are located at Police Headquarters, 100 Police Plaza (320 Federal Place on GPS), during the following days and times:

Tuesdays from 9 am to 6 pm; Wednesdays from 2-6 pm; Thursdays 2-6 pm

Anyone needing fingerprints must present a valid photo identification. Each fingerprint card costs $10. Payment can be in the form of cash, credit, debit, check, money order, or cashier’s check.

Police Records will collect the fee and direct you to the lab.

How do I get a criminal background check performed on someone?
There are two locations to get a criminal background check:

1. Greensboro Police Department

The Records Division files only contain charges/arrests made by the Greensboro Police Department and not the Guilford County Sheriff's Department or the NC State Highway Patrol.

The GPD does not notarize (i.e. certify) the Arrest History print out. The first original is free. There is a $0.25 charge for each additional copy. Bring a picture ID and have enough information about the individual (such as date of birth or address) that would allow us to search our files.

2. Guilford County Courthouse

Certified criminal background checks and reports can be obtained in Room U-10 of the Guilford County Courthouse. Bring a picture ID and have enough information about the individual (such as date of birth or address) that would allow us to search our files.

The background check is for Guilford County records only. There is a $25 fee for this service. An uncertified copy costs $2. The Guilford County Clerk of Court accepts cash (preferred method), money order, or a cashier's check payable to the Guilford County Clerk of Superior Court. The office does not accept personal checks, or debit or credit cards.

How do I get my criminal record expunged?
You must petition the courts to get a criminal record destroyed. 

How do I find out if someone is a sex offender?
You may go to the Guilford County Sex Offender website to view the Sex Offender and Public Protection Registry. If you do not have access to a computer, you may access one at any location of the Greensboro Public Library. You may also contact the Guilford County Sheriff’s Department for assistance, as they maintain a list of all sex offenders in the county.

Other Areas of Interest


What is the minimum age to purchase alcohol in North Carolina?
The legal age to purchase alcohol is 21. It is against the law for anyone younger than 21 to buy or to attempt to buy alcohol.

Animal Control

What is the number to the Animal Shelter?
Guilford County Animal Control - 336-641-5990
Animal Shelter - 336-641-3400

City Code Enforcement

How do I report abandoned motor vehicles and / or overgrown yards?
Call the Inspections Division of the Engineering and Inspections Department at 336-373-2111 about abandoned motor vehicles and report property upkeep issues to the Code Compliance Office of the Neighborhood Development Department online.


How do I find out my court date?
Contact the Guilford County Clerk of Court’s office. The phone number is 336-412-7300. Or you can search for your court date here.

Why am I being subpoenaed?
If you are subpoenaed, it is usually because you were a victim or a witness in a criminal case. For additional information, contact the District Attorney’s office at 336-412-7600.

I was in court. Why do I have an Order for Arrest for failing to appear?
Reasons vary but it is advisable to go in person to the Clerk of Court’s office in Room UG-50 of the Guilford County Courthouse. There may have been more than one court date for additional charges.

I missed my court date. Now what do I do?
If you missed your court date, there may be an order for arrest issued by the court and the Clerk of Court’s office. The order for arrest will be generated in the NCAWARE system, which is a statewide database for legal papers. You can check with your attorney, Guilford County Clerk of Court Office, Guilford County Magistrate's Office, or if you live in the City of Greensboro, with the Records Division of the Greensboro Police Department to determine if the order for arrest has been issued. If the paper is in the system, you can contact the appropriate agency to arrange for a time to be served with the paper at the Magistrate’s office.


Where do I get a Domestic Violence Protection Order (50-B) and how is that handled?
All 50-B orders are obtained through the Clerk of Superior Court, UG-16 in the Guilford County Courthouse. The phone number is 336-412-7359. The Clerk accepts petitions for domestic violence ex parte orders Mondays through Fridays from 8 am to 12:30 pm. Petitions are heard before a district court judge the same day at 2 pm. The petition and hearing must be completed on the same day. If the complainant cannot turn in the paperwork by 12:30 pm, he or she will be asked to return the following day.

The Domestic Violence form (AOC-CV-303) and instructions can be found on the Guilford County website. All of the forms are .pdf format and can be filled out online, printed, and delivered to the clerk. You may also file for a 50-B at the Family Justice Center.

My child’s (father / mother) has failed to return the child as we had agreed upon.
Child custody issues are normally civil matters. Unless a parent has a court order with specific directions from the court on who has custody, then either parent may assume custody of the child, take the child wherever they wish and for any period of time. The fact that the parents of the child are not married does not matter as long as both are the legitimate parents of the child. Law enforcement may only assist in locating and returning the child to a parent when there is a valid court order and there is a clear violation of that order.

Why have my child support papers not been served?
Most child support matters / papers are handled and served by the Guilford County Sheriff’s Department Warrant Squad. The phone number is 336-641-6282 or 336-641-6778.

Could an officer stand by while I move out of my residence due to a problem with the current resident / landlord?
You may call 336-373-2222. They will put a call in the system for a car to be dispatched to your location for an escort.

How do I get someone out of my house?
If the person has been staying there, you may have to formally evict him / her. That process can be handled by a magistrate in the Guilford County Courthouse. If the person has not been staying there, we may need to forward your call to the communications center for call / car dispatch in reference to a trespasser.

How do I get my property from someone who is keeping it from me?
If this situation is due to a recent breakup of a relationship and you are moving out, a car may need to be dispatched in reference to a clothing / property escort. However, if the property in dispute had been of a long-term nature, this could possibly be an action that must be taken care of in civil court. You would need to see the civil magistrate in the Guilford County Courthouse.

Guilford County

What is the number to the courthouse / magistrate / jail / Sheriff's Department?

  • Magistrate: 336-412-7855 (civil) or 336-412-7870 (criminal) 
  • District Attorney: 336-412-7600
  • Clerk of Court: 336-412-7300
  • Guilford County Courthouse: 336-412-7997

Sheriff’s Department:

  • Guilford County Jail Desk: 336-641-2700
  • High Point Jail 336-641-7900
  • Booking: 336-641-2711
  • Records: 336-641-4782
  • Warrant Squad: 336-641-6282 or 336-641-6778
  • Animal Shelter: 336-297-5020
  • Gun Permit: 336-641-3005 

I know someone who was just arrested. How do I find out what their bond is and get them out of jail?
The Guilford County Sheriff’s Department Jail Desk number is 336-641-2700. They can provide the information.

What is the phone number for Probation and Parole?


How do I get a gun permit?
The Guilford County Sheriff’s Department handles all licensing pertaining to guns. They are located at 401 W. Sycamore St. and the phone number is 336-641-3005.


At what age is a person considered an adult?
A person is considered an adult at the age of 18. Parents / legal guardians are responsible for persons until they reach the age of 18. However, if a 16-year-old or 17-year-old commit a crime, they are processed and handled in the court system as an adult.

What do I do about my teenager / juvenile who will not go to school and will not cooperate with me?
You may contact our Criminal Investigations Division at 336-373-2255. They will be able to advise you on what avenues to take in order to get further assistance.

The neighbor’s kids always have bruises on them. I suspect that the parents are are hitting them. What is abuse or neglect?
Neglect may be lack of food, clothing or shelter as well as lack of supervision or medical care. Abuse may be defined as physical or sexual abuse. Physical abuse could be hitting or striking the child causing bruising or injury by other than accidental means. Sexual abuse may involve improper or immoral acts with the child. This list is not all inclusive of examples of abuse or neglect. The Department of Social Services is the primary agency responsible for investigating allegations of abuse or neglect. The telephone number for Child Protective Services to report abuse or neglect is 336-641-3795.

Mental Health

A family member needs mental health treatment. What are my options?
The police cannot forcibly take an individual to mental health unless it is an emergency situation where the person is a danger to himself / herself or others. If you feel the situation is grave enough, you may need to petition the Guilford County Magistrate for an emergency commitment order. This is done in the Guilford County Courthouse between 8 am and 5 pm. After hours, this can be in the magistrate’s office in the lower level of the Guilford County Jail. Once the orders have been issued, a car will be dispatched for service and assistance.


Can I contest a parking ticket?
For questions regarding parking tickets, you may contact parking enforcement at 336-373-2648.

How can I get a Z 1, 2 or 3 permit?
In congested parking areas where you sometimes park on the street, around universities for example, Zone 1, 2, or 3 parking “permits” may be issued. These allow you to park longer than the time stated on the signs without being ticketed. There is no cost for one of these permits, but you must provide proof you live in the area, as well as a current driver’s license and registration card. These “permits” expire yearly on June 30.

Currently, the Parking Enforcement office enrolls eligible license tags in this program via a license plate recognition system. We no longer issue actual decals or permits. The authorization of the valid license tag is issued by the Parking Operations and Enforcement office, located at 300 W. Washington St., room UG-29. You can apply online or in person at the above office.


Where can I get a license or permit to panhandle?
If you want to panhandle -- beg for or solicit money for personal gain -- in Greensboro, you must first undergo a criminal background check by the Police Department and then get a Privilege License from the City's Collections Division at Melvin Municipal Office Building. 

The background check may take up to seven days to complete and is free of charge. Contact the Police Department at 336-373-2222 to start the process.

Who do I contact to apply for a parade permit or permit to temporarily close a City street?
For parade permits or temporary street closing permits, call Josh Sherrick with Special Events at 336-373-4572.


Where do I find information on getting a NC driver’s license or getting my vehicle registration switched to NC?
On this website you will find information on obtaining a NC driver’s license, as well as all requirements for a driver’s license, including a copy of the Driver’s Handbook in English and Spanish. There is a separate handbook for obtaining a motorcycle license also on this site. Our local DMV office should also be able to provide you with a copy of these handbooks.

Driver’s License Offices:

Vehicle & License Plate Renewal Offices:

What is the Child Safety Seat Law?
According to the NC Child Passenger Safety (CPS) law, children are required to be in a booster seat or some other type of child passenger restraint system until they reach eight years of age or 80 pounds, whichever comes first. Most drivers comply by using belt positioning booster seats, but other child restraints with harnesses rated for use over 40 pounds are legal to use as well.

Where can I get my child safety seat checked?
There are two locations where parents can check the safety of a child's car seat.

How long does a new resident to NC have before they must get a North Carolina driver’s license?
60 days

Does the Police Department provide traffic counts for residents?
Traffic counts are available for many City streets and intersections from the Greensboro Department of Transportation at 336-373-4368. If you have a speed complaint, contact the Police Department Motor Unit.

What can I do about speeding in my neighborhood?
You may contact the Police Department Motor Unit.

How can I get a speed measuring radar trailer placed in my neighborhood?
You may contact the Police Department Motor Unit.

I received a ticket in another county. Can I handle the ticket in my home county, or will I have to travel to the county where I received the ticket?
You must handle the ticket in the county where you received the ticket.

If my license is suspended, where / how do I get it restored?
There are a number of reasons why a person's North Carolina driving privilege may be suspended. The fines and penalties imposed by the court are separate from any action taken by the Division of Motor Vehicles. If your driving privilege in North Carolina is suspended and you wish to find out more information, you may contact DMV by writing to:

NC Division of Motor Vehicles
Driver License Section
Information Services Branch
3114 Mail Service Center
Raleigh, NC 27699-3114
Contact the Clerk of Court in the county in which you have been charged with traffic violations in the
past. If your violations occurred in Guilford County, you may contact:

Guilford County Clerk of Superior Court
Guilford County Courthouse
PO Box 3008
Greensboro, NC 27402-3008
Fax 336-334-5020

Why was my vehicle seized when I was arrested for DWI?
In North Carolina, if (1) a person is charged with an impaired driving offense and (2) at the time of the offense the person’s license is already revoked for a prior impaired driving offense, then the law enforcement officer must seize the vehicle even if the driver is not the owner of the vehicle.

What will happen to my vehicle that was seized from a DWI arrest?
Based on certain factors, the court will either (1) return the vehicle to the owner (also known as
"releasing" the vehicle) or (2) transfer ownership of the vehicle to the local school board (also known as "forfeiting" the vehicle). There is also a possibility that the vehicle may be sold prior to the trial on the impaired driving offense. Contact the charging/arresting officer in the matter for specific details in your case.

If I am charged with DWI, what happens if I refuse to take a breathalyzer or blood test?
If an officer charges you with driving while impaired (DWI), you will be asked to take a chemical test of your breath or blood. Refusal to perform any required test will result in the immediate revocation of your driver license for at least 30 days and an additional, minimum 12-month revocation by the DMV.

What happens to my license if the breathalyzer is more than .08?
If your intoxication test shows an alcohol concentration of 0.08 percent or more (0.04 or more, if you are driving a commercial motor vehicle), your driving privilege will be revoked immediately for a minimum of 30 days. Additionally, the results of your chemical test or the fact that you refused to take the test will be admissible as evidence in court.

Should a license plate be surrendered when insurance has been discontinued?
A license plate must be surrendered to a license plate office whenever insurance has been deleted for any reason.


Has a warrant been served, or do I have a warrant?
Call our Records Section at 336-373-2435.