The Police department offers two locations where parents can check the safety of a child's car seat.
- Availability: Thursdays, 9:30-11:00am by appointment only
- Certified inspectors: Officers J.B. Price, F.J. Brewer, M. Leahy, W.J. Fulton and Sgt. Altizer
- Schedule an appointment: Call Special Operations at
Should these appointment times not work for you, Safe Kids Guilford County (led by Cone Health) is another available option.
- Availability: Monday - Friday, 8:30am to 3:30pm by appointment only
- Certified technician proxy: Officer Melanie Daniel
- Schedule an appointment: Call 336-373-4645
On November 1, 2013, the Child Passenger Safety Diversion Program (CPSDP) was implemented throughout Guilford County to promote child passenger safety. It offers motorists who have received a citation for a child restraint violation the opportunity to have the citation dismissed if they attend an educational session at a certified child safety seat checking station.
At the time the citation is issued, the driver is provided a list of child safety seat checking stations (see below). The operator then schedules an appointment, and brings the child, a child seat, a vehicle, driver’s license or identification, and the citation to the checking station.
A certified Child Passenger Safety (CPS) technician teaches the driver about child passenger safety and how to install the child seat properly. The CPS technician will then issue a certificate for the driver to present to the District Attorney’s Office on his or her court date for dismissal of the citation. There are no fines to pay when the child safety seat citation is dismissed. This is a one-time opportunity for the violator.