Who operates the Parking Enforcement Program? Parking Enforcement is a Department of Transportation operation. The Parking Enforcement office is located in the Melvin Municipal Office Building, 300 W. Washington St., on the UG level in Room 29. Office hours are 8 am to 5 pm Mondays through Fridays.
How many on-street parking spaces are located in the Central Business District (CBD)?
There are more than 900 metered spaces and many more time-limit spaces.
How much does it cost to park at a meter?
The cost is $0.75 to $1 per hour depending on location. Parking meters accept quarters, dimes, and nickels only.
When are the meters enforced?
Per city ordinance, enforcement of parking meter spaces is from 8 am to 6 pm Mondays through Saturdays, excluding Sundays and City designated holidays.
What are the areas of the city that are enforced?
The Parking Enforcement office covers the CBD, which is within the boundaries of Spring Street, Lee Street, Murrow Boulevard, and Fisher Avenue. It also covers Zone 1 (UNCG area) and Zone 2 (NC A&T State University area). The remainder of the city is covered by the Greensboro Police Department and the number to call for parking violations in those parts of the city is 336-373-2222.
What do I do if a Parking Meter does not work?
If a parking meter is broken or not working properly, please contact the City’s Contact Center at 336-373-2489. The center will report this to the appropriate contact person. Make sure you have the street name, block number, and meter number when calling about the problem. The meter number should be a colored stick or label that indicates the street name and block of the street (i.e. WMKT204 for 200 block of West Market Street).
What do I do if I get a ticket?
Pay the ticket. You can submit the Parking Enforcement Appeal Form online if you feel there is justification for an appeal. As a matter of policy, the Parking Enforcement Office does not accept the following as grounds for an appeal:
- Lack of knowledge of the City’s parking regulations
- Conflicts or tardiness going to or returning from appointments, which includes being in court
- Inability to find a valid parking space
- Failure to have appropriate or sufficient amount of coins for payment.
How much are parking tickets?
Visit this page for a full listing of parking fines.
- Inquire by telephone at 336-373-2648
- Inquire in person at 300 W. Washington St., Melvin Municipal Office Building, UG Level, Room 29. Hours are 8 am to 5 pm Mondays through Fridays.
What if I fail to respond to a violation?
If you fail to pay the violation within 45 days, a penalty of $25 will be applied to the violation amount.
How much does a tow cost?
- If you arrive after the tow truck has hooked up your vehicle and you immediately pay your outstanding parking citation(s), the cost is $40 for a Drop Fee. (subject to change)
- If your vehicle is towed, the cost of a tow is $62. (subject to change)
- If for some reason a Dolly tow truck was needed, there is an additional $38 added to the $62 tow cost, totaling $100. (subject to change)
- Daily storage at the tow company is $28 per day. (subject to change)
When can my car be towed?
Towing Policy (List ordinance 16-78)
Can I be held responsible for tickets issued to a vehicle that I co-own, even though I do not use the vehicle?
Yes. As a registered owner, you are liable for any tickets regardless of whether or not you were using the vehicle at the time the tickets were issued.
If I forget to renew my residential parking permit then I get a parking citation for parking over the time limit posted, can I have my ticket(s) voided?
No. You should renew your residential permit every July 1.
If there are no other parking spaces in my apartment complex, can I park in a handicap space?
No. You can park at a handicap space only if you have a valid handicap placard issued to you.