The next MPO Meeting will be March 28, 2018.
The Greensboro Urban Area Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO) manages the transportation planning process required by federal law. The MPO plans for our area's surface transportation needs, including highways, transit, bicycle, and pedestrian facilities.
The Greensboro metropolitan planning area includes most of Guilford County. The MPO serves the City of Greensboro, much of unincorporated Guilford County, and the towns of Oak Ridge, Pleasant Garden, Sedalia, Stokesdale and Summerfield. Burlington, Gibsonville, Whitsett and nearby unincorporated areas are served by the Burlington-Graham MPO; High Point, Jamestown and nearby unincorporated areas are served by the High Point Urban Area MPO.
The Greensboro Department of Transportation (GDOT) is the lead planning agency of the MPO, while the City of Greensboro, Guilford County, and the North Carolina Department of Transportation are member agencies. The Transportation Advisory Committee (TAC) is the MPO’s Policy Board and is made up of the following officials:
- Marikay Abuzuaiter, Council Member, Greensboro City Council (TAC Chair)
- Nancy Vaughan, Mayor, Greensboro City Council
- Yvonne Johnson, Mayor Pro Tem, Greensboro City Council
- Justin Outling, Council Member, Greensboro City Council
- Mike Fox, NC Board of Transportation
- Alan Branson, Commissioner, Board of County Commissioners
- Melvin 'Skip' Alston, Commissioner, Board of County Commissioners
- Dena Barnes, Town Representative, Summerfield Town Council
- Carla Strickland, Alternate Town Representative, Pleasant Garden Mayor
The Technical Coordinating Committee advises the TAC and is made up of staff from the following agencies: GDOT, Greensboro Transit Authority, Greensboro Planning Department, Guilford County Planning and Development Department, Piedmont Triad International Airport, NC Department of Transportation (Highway Division 7, Transportation Planning Branch and Public Transportation Division), and the Piedmont Authority for Regional Transportation (PART).
The priorities of the MPO are to:
- Promote the safe and efficient management, operation, and development of transportation systems;
- Serve the mobility needs of people and freight;
- Foster economic growth and development; and
- Minimize the negative effects of transportation, including air pollution.
For more information about the Greensboro MPO, use the links below, or contact GUAMPO staff.
MPO Committees, Meetings, and Administration
MPO committees include the Technical Coordinating Committee (TCC) and the Transportation Advisory Committee (TAC). The TCC provides general review, guidance, and coordination of the transportation planning process. The TAC is the MPO’s policy board and has a key role in making decisions about public investment in transportation services, infrastructure, and planning within the region, and in communicating those decisions to the policy boards of its member agencies. All TCC and TAC meetings are open to the public. Use the links below for information on the MPO's committees, meetings, and administration.
- MPO Related Informational Resources
- TCC Bylaws
- TAC Bylaws
- Public Participation Plan
- Prospectus for Continuing Transportation Planning
- Memorandum of Understanding
- 2013 Review of Boundaries, Structure and Governance
- 2013 Federal Quadrennial Certification Review
MPO Plans and Programs
An important part of the transportation planning process is to identify transportation needs and to explore feasible alternatives to meet those needs. Plans and programs are often conducted in partnership with the NC Department of Transportation to identify needs and projects to enhance Greensboro's transportation infrastructure. Use the links below to view information on plans and programs conducted by the Greensboro MPO.
- Metropolitan Transportation Plan
- Metropolitan Transportation Improvement Program
- Draft Priority Needs List
- 2017-2018 Unified Planning Work Program (effective 7/1/2017 through 6/30/18)
- Bicycle, Pedestrian, and Greenways Plan
- Comprehensive Transportation Plan & Thoroughfare Plan
- Collector Street Plan
- Congestion Management Process
- Coordinated Human Services Transportation Plan
- FY 2016 Program of Projects
- Transportation Projects Update Newsletter
- Fiscal Year 2017 Project Funding Allocations
- Fiscal Year 2016 Project Funding Allocations
- Fiscal Year 2015 Project Funding Allocations
- Fiscal Year 2014 Project Funding Allocations
- Fiscal Year 2013 Project Funding Allocations
- Fiscal Year 2012 Project Funding Allocations
- Fiscal Year 2011 Project Funding Allocations