E-Scooter Pilot Program
In November 2018, Greensboro City Council adopted an e-scooter pilot program with operator permits effective January 28 - August 1, 2019. Read more about e-scooter pilot evaluation for Greensboro, NC.
Businesses must obtain a $500 permit and pay a $50 fee per scooter.
Permitted businesses are responsible for:
- Scooters being properly parked
- Any scooter that is parked incorrectly is required to be re-parked or removed within two hours of notification.
- Educating customers about safe operating practices, parking rules, and applicable laws
- Reporting usage and crash data to the City
- Renting to only users 18 and older
How to Ride
Download the mobile application for Lime or Bird to ride a scooter near you. The apps will allow you to unlock the scooter and operate it. Ride safely. At the end of your ride park and re-lock your scooter through the app.
Rules for Riders
- Scooters are not permitted to operate on sidewalks or greenways and should not be operated in parking decks or city parks.
- Only ride your scooter on city streets with a speed limit of less than 35 miles an hour.
- You may use bike lanes.
- Helmets are strongly encouraged.
- Children under 18 may not use a ride-share scooter.
- When parking, pay close attention to your surroundings. If parking on the sidewalk, leave at least a 6 foot wide clear pathway for pedestrians. Be sure note to block curb ramps, bus stops, driveways, business entrances or any other street furniture that requires pedestrian access.
- Obey all traffic laws (e.g. ride on the right side of the road, follow traffic signals and stop signs)