The Adopt-a-Stream program is a volunteer opportunity for you and your group to get involved in environmental stewardship.
Groups adopt a stream and pick up litter around the stream twice a year to reduce water pollution. The time commitment for this program is a minimum of two years. Gloves and bags are provided.
The City will place a sign bearing your group's name along the road by your adopted stream section. Group members will also receive a car magnet for participation.
For your convenience all forms are available through the Interactive Map.
Benefits of adopting a stream:
- Improve water quality and stream habit
- Increase reporting of water quality problems
- Increase community involvement
Anyone can adopt a stream. Examples of local participants include:
- Civic Groups
- Youth Groups
- Organize your group.
- Click on the Interactive Map and zoom in to select a stream of interest (dark blue streams are adoptable and orange streams are already adopted). Choose the nearest intersection or street name to identify the area.
- Visit the stream to confirm the location is accessible for your group (not too deep, easy to access).
- Complete and submit the volunteer application. The application can be completed online, through the Interactive Map or you can do a paper application and email/deliver it to the Water Resources Office (contact info below).
- The Adopt-a-Stream coordinator will check on the availability of the stream and contact you once it is assigned.
Veronica Covert, Coordinator
2602 S. Elm/Eugene St.
Greensboro, NC 27406
Before Clean Up
- Complete the event notification form and submit to the Adopt-a-Stream Coordinator.
- Review the safety guidelines with your group.
During Clean Up
- Use the gloves and designated bags provided to pick up visible litter.
- Stay with your group.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
After Clean Up
- Leave bags of collected trash and bulk items at the designated pick up site (confirm this with Adopt-a-Stream Coordinator).
- Complete the Clean-up Reporting form online or return the paper form to the Adopt-a-Stream Coordinator within 48 hours of the clean up.
Interested in taking your Adopt-a-Stream participation to another level? Check out the NC Stream Watch program. The program includes badges, prizes, educational materials, and more. If interested, email Danica Heflin. (This program is facilitated through the City's partnership with Stormwater SMART).