The Adopt-a-Stream program is a volunteer opportunity for you and your group to get involved in environmental stewardship.
Groups adopt a stream and pick up litter around the stream twice a year to reduce water pollution. The time commitment for this program is a minimum of two years. Gloves and bags are provided.
The City will place a sign bearing your group's name along the road by your adopted stream section. Group members will also receive a car magnet for participation.
For your convenience all forms are available through the Interactive Map.
Benefits of adopting a stream:
- Improve water quality and stream habit
- Increase reporting of water quality problems
- Increase community involvement
Anyone can adopt a stream. Examples of local participants include:
- Civic Groups
- Youth Groups
- Organize your group.
- Click on the Interactive Map and zoom in to select a stream of interest (dark blue streams are adoptable and orange streams are already adopted). Choose the nearest intersection or street name to identify the area.
- Visit the stream to confirm the location is accessible for your group (not too deep, easy to access).
- Complete and submit the volunteer application. The application can be completed online, through the Interactive Map or you can do a paper application and e-mail/deliver it to the Water Resources Office (contact info below).
- The Adopt-a-Stream coordinator will check on the availability of the stream and contact you once it is assigned.
Veronica Covert, Coordinator
2602 S. Elm/Eugene St.
Greensboro, NC 27406
Before Clean Up
- Complete the event notification form and submit to the Adopt-a-Stream Coordinator.
- Review the safety guidelines with your group.
During Clean Up
- Use the gloves and designated bags provided to pick up visible litter.
- Stay with your group.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
After Clean Up
- Leave bags of collected trash and bulk items at the designated pick up site (confirm this with Adopt-a-Stream Coordinator).
- Complete the Clean-up Reporting form online or return the paper form to the Adopt-a-Stream Coordinator within 48 hours of the clean up.
Interested in taking your Adopt-a-Stream participation to another level? Check out the NC Stream Watch program. The program includes badges, prizes, educational materials, and more. If interested, e-mail Danica Heflin. (This program is facilitated through the City's partnership with Stormwater SMART).