Toilet Leak Test
- Put two dye tablets or 10 drops of dark food coloring into your tank.
- Do not flush the commode.
- Wait 30 minutes.
- If you see color in your toilet bowl, your toilet is leaking.
- To check for leaks in your home, turn off everything that uses water including the washing machine, dishwasher, faucets, and even the icemaker.
- Locate your water meter. It should be in the ground on the edge of your property. The lid will be an oval piece of steel or aluminum that may have the words "water meter" on it.
- Remove the lid. Most covers have a pentagon-shaped bolt that is easily turned with a wrench. If your meter lid does have a bolt, simply pry off the cover using a screwdriver or similar device.
- Once the lid is off, locate the gauge with the red needle. Each time the needle completes one rotation, 7.5 gallons have passed through the meter.
- If the red needle is turning, you have a leak.