Melvin Municipal Office Building (City Hall) is temporarily closed to the public due to COVID-19 concerns.

Exception: Water bill payments and new service requests can be made at City Hall from 10 am to 3 pm weekdays.

Questions? Call 336-373-CITY (2489).

Public Records Request FAQs

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Expand/Contract Questions and Answers

  • How long does the City retain its public records?

  • Is there a special form I have to use to make a public record request?

  • What is a public record?

  • What is listed on the City of Greensboro's Public Records Requests Web page?

  • What is the City of Greensboro's public records policy?

  • How do I submit a public record request?

  • Who handles public records requests?

  • How is a public record request processed?

  • How long will it take to get an answer to my public record request?

  • How much does it cost to make a public record request?

  • Are there exemptions to the North Carolina Public Records Law?

The Public Records Request System is for requesting access to and copies of the City of Greensboro’s public records, pursuant to North Carolina’s public records law, North Carolina General Statute 132.

We respond promptly to all public records requests.  Please provide enough information in your request to enable the City to search its records.  The Public Records Administrator will contact you if more information is needed.

Please be aware that the City of Greensboro’s Public Records Policy does not require the City to do research, analyze data, or answer written questions.  NCGS 132-6.2(e) says, “Nothing in this section shall be construed to require a public agency to respond to a request for a copy of a public record by creating or compiling a record that does not exist.”

Access many City public records on the City's website by using the Search box at the top right of every page.  See the FAQ on Information You Don’t Have Request through Public Records System for City records that you can access without requesting through the Public Records System.

Marriage and divorce records, birth and death certificates, and court records are not in the custody of the City.  Please see the FAQ on Records Not in the Custody of the City of Greensboro for help with requesting these and other records not in the City’s custody.

Contact the Public Records Administrator by e-mail or at 336-373-3636.